Sunday, April 15, 2012

A month at The Villages - April 1-11

My goal here is to keep a diary of what we're doing during our month at The Villages.  Of course we've already been here for over a week so I'm going to have to count on my memory.
April 1-11  As I just wrote this date I realized that our month is almost half over!  Where did the time go?

April 1, Sunday was written about --> here <-- and below are some pictures of our place.

April 2, Monday
Based on what I wrote for Sunday, today must have been the day we went to the driving range to see if I could swing without it hurting.  When we got to the range we found that it had moved to the other side of the body of water where you hit your balls into and that there was now a permanent structure.
I didn't feel any pain from the practice but opted to just ride when Larry went to play later in the afternoon rather than risk finding out too late that I shouldn't have.

 The turtle below is know as a Florida Softshell Turtle identified by it's pointy nose.

We also went to the pool for awhile in between the golfing activities and for dinner we had cheese and crackers and a Vodka & Tonic.

April 3, Tuesday
We played some modified tennis and pickleball.  I was concerned about my knee more than anything else and my shoulder was secondary.  I was all outfitted in my protective gear for all my past, present and potential injuries.

Earlier we took a trip to Walmart to buy tennis balls and also bought some more groceries.  That night we tried our version of the Chicken and Asparagus.

April 4, Wednesday
Today I woke with my back and neck in some pain.  More about that was written here and I'll try to stay clear of talking about that anymore except as a sideline if necessary.  We walked into town, went to the pool and made yet another trip to Publix and had a big salad for dinner.
After seeing the signs about not feeding the alligators
 you'd think I wouldn't have been surprised to find a real alligator.

April 5, Thursday
Another day for a walk and the pool.  Larry played golf and I stayed home and made meatballs which I froze.  Dinner was hot dogs, a good quick after golf meal.

April 6, Friday
I went to Yoga at the Lake Miona Rec Center.  It was classified as an intermediate class and I was concerned about how I would do because of my "not to be mentioned" pain.  But there wasn't any flowing just a lot of stretching and I was glad that I went.  It was a large class of over 40 people.  Larry came along with his Kindle and waited for me.  While we were there we got the guest passes for Fred, Nadine and Michael.  Later we took the golf cart over to the Polo Field and watched a match.

 At half time we helped tamp down the divets
 We didn't actually have any wine, the man who took our picture trusted Larry to hold his glass

For dinner we had some hearty appetizers - salmon dip from Sweetbay and imitation crab meat with hot sauce and Larry's delicious V&T.

April 7, Saturday
There was a craft show and sale at Sumter Landing this weekend so we walked over to check it out.  It was a huge one and we found a woman selling medicinal oils.  I gave on a try and bought a vial.  It did make the pain much better.  We also found a couple who were selling coffee called Coffee Gourmet NY and I noticed on the apron the woman was wearing the area code 914,  Westchester County so of course I had to stop and talk.  It turned out that her best friend was someone I thought I went to high school with and her husband had taught at Longfellow Jr High School which was where I went but he was there after me.

We had chicken leftovers that night.

April 8, Sunday - Happy Easter
We went to Easter Sunday Mass at 9:00 and it's a good thing we left 45 minutes early for the 15 minute drive because we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and then had to go in the social hall which also had SRO.  When we left the traffic was already built up for the next mass and in the midst of it all, an ambulance had to come through it.

We went back to the craft show and I got more oils and confirmed with Barbara Shein (from coffee company) that her friend had indeed been in my high school class.  Larry watched the Masters and I went to the pool.  For our Easter dinner we had tilapia, sweet potatoes and asparagus.

April 9, Monday
Off to the pool again on Monday and then when Larry went to play golf I went to Weight Watchers.  I needed to do my official weigh-in for the month and I was anxious to see what the store concept looked like since Penfield is in the process its conversion to a store.

 I lost 3 pounds YEA!!  being in pain has some advantages.  Finally it started to feel like my back didn't give me jiggling pain when I walked.  We had crabmeat and a lobster tail for dinner on the lanai with V&T.  One of our favorite casual appetizer kind of dinners.

April 10, Tuesday
These was the day we were expecting Fred to arrive.  He was flying into Orlando and then taking the Villages shuttle out here.  Larry thought he would arrive around 7:00 and was going to call when he got here.

We drove around the Villages in the golf cart and looked at some Open Houses.

We were going to one at 2:00 but it was only 1:30 so we went to Mallory GC for lunch.  I had a juicy hamburger and Larry had pork sliders.

For dinner we had peanut butter pretzels and V&T.  Good thing I lost 3 pounds.

At 7:30 we hadn't heard from him.  By 8:30 we still hadn't heard.  "Larry aren't you wondering why you haven't heard from Fred?  Maybe you should call him, he might have lost your number and is just sitting there waiting for you."  Finally Larry decided to call and when he looked on his phone for Fred's cell number, he didn't have it.  He had assured me that they had each other's numbers.  I knew I had his son Paul's number in an email so got it for him.  When Larry reached Paul to get Fred's number, Paul said Fred wasn't coming until tomorrow!

April 11, Wednesday
We took a walk to the Coconut Cove Rec center and played shuffleboard.  Larry beat me every time.  We had smoothies for lunch and then I went to the pool and Larry took a nap.  My neck seems to be getting better.  At least my back isn't hurting me so much even though I can still hardly move my neck.  Today is the day Fred is really supposed to come.  At least for tonight Larry thought we should have dinner when he got here.  Yesterday he didn't seem to think he would want to eat.

Fred did come and we had meatballs and spaghetti for dinner.

No comments: