Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Using iPhoto with Flickr and Picasa Web

It's amazing what you can learn when you have the time.  Since I've spent most of the last few weeks trying to learn how to be more creative with my blog I just learned two new things relating to iPhoto and Picasa and iphoto and Flickr.  It's always been such a pain for me to upload pictures to my blog because I didn't know how to do it efficiently until today.  It was very easy from my phone using the  BlogPress App since it  gave me the choice of using either of those services.
Today I found out how to set up my account to publish to Flickr and how to use those photos on my blog and how to export photos from iphoto to Picasa.

Picasa Web
I used to export my pictures to my hard drive in a suitable size for uploading and then create my post and add the pictures.  I thought there had to be some way to Export since I had set up exporting to Kodak Gallery and Shutterfly but never took the time to look.  Isn't it funny how it's so easy to continue doing things the way you always have rather than take the time to learn if there's a better way?  Today was finally that time.  I found the following answer.
After much searching, I found this link which said to go to the Google site http://picasa.google.com/mac_tools.html and download the exporter.  The article in the link says it works for iphoto 11 but it also does for iphoto 09 which I'm still using.
I installed the exporter and it will upload as many pictures you select to whatever Picasa Web album you select in the size you select.  Then in blogger when you want to add a photo, from the Compose screen select the Insert Image icon and select From Picasa Web Albums.  All your albums will display and you can select the photos from the correct album.

Flickr
There's a toolbar option for Flickr in iPhoto that allows you to create a Flickr album, much like the one you can create for Facebook.  Once it's created it uploads the pictures to your Flickr account which you previously set up and linked to from iPhoto.  Then, in Flickr you can set up a share to your blog.  Check out this link: http://www.google.com/support/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42233
The problems I see with Flickr are:
  1. If you delete the album from iPhoto then the pictures are gone in Flickr.  A solution to this would be to create a new set and copy the pictures into it that you want to keep on the blog.
  2. I can't see how to send more than one picture to blogger at a time, and each picture creates a new post.
On the plus side, it's real easy to drag the photos over in iPhoto.  But for me the downsides make using it too inconvenient for me.

Some additonal information - with a free Flickr account, you can upload 2 videos and 300MB worth of photos each calendar month.

Picasa gives you 1 GB (1024 MB) of storage but photos up to 2048 x 2048 pixels and videos up to 15 minutes won't count towards your free storage.

Conclusion:  After trying each one, for me the best choice is Picasa Web.

No comments: