Saturday, August 6, 2011

Mussels in Wine

I was going to adapt the Shellfish and Tomato Stew recipe that we saw in the WSJ this morning, but since I was just doing mussels I took a few of the seasoning ideas and incorporated them into my recipe.  I'll try that one at a later time.

Mussels in Wine
3/4 cup white wine
4 lbs mussels
2 Tbls olive oil
2 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
1 tomato seeded and chopped
1 green onion, thin sliced
1 Tbls fresh oregano, chopped
1 Tbls fresh basil, chopped
salt and pepper to taste

As in most recipes, I think your choice of herbs depends on what you like and/or what you have on hand.  I happen to have oregano and basil growing outdoors so that is what I used.  I always prefer fresh over dried if I have a choice.
Add wine to a dutch oven and cook over medium-high heat util reduced.  About 2-3 minutes.

Add the mussels, cover and cook for a few minutes until they open.

In the meantime, in a skillet saute the chopped garlic in olive oil about 1 minute or until golden brown.
Add the tomato, onion, oregano and basil and continue cooking, being careful not to let it burn.
Add some wine if necessary.
When both are ready, pour juice from mussels into skillet, and add salt and pepper.

Spoon mussels into dish and cover with wine sauce.
Serve with crusty bread.



No comments: