Sunday, July 31, 2011

No Power

When we woke up this morning, our cable wasn't working and neither was our phone which is run from cable.  However, we still had internet.  Larry called Time Warner (on his cell) and there was a recording that said there was an outage and they were working on it.
So, not to waste time, I was able to listen to a book on my iPhone and decided to make banana bread.  I had enough bananas to make two loaves which was perfect since I wanted to take one to NH.  I got them all mixed up and put them in the oven at 11:00.  At 11:10 our electric power went out.  Did it have anything to do with the cable?  It seemed rather strange since we weren't having any bad weather, no thunderstorms, heavy winds and it wasn't excessively hot for air conditioners to blow out the power what else could it have been.  I called RG&E immediately and they had a recording saying that there was a crew working on it,  990 homes were effected and it should be back on by 12:30.  Sounds like it wasn't a surprise outage.

The BIG question - - What to do with the banana bread?  I could take it out of the oven and wait for the power to come back on or leave it in and let it keep doing it's thing and then see what it looks like when the power came back.  After looking at it, I decided to let it keep going since it had already risen and I didn't know what would happen to it if it went back to room temperature.  The power came back on after an hour, earlier than planned, and surprise, surprise the cable came back too.

Once again I looked at the bread and decided to give it another 20-30 minutes.  After 20 minutes I did the toothpick test and it seemed done so I took it out.

The results:  The top was completely smooth, usually it cracks, but the bread itself came out delicious.  It was very moist and I don't know if it was because of the way it was cooked or because I used frozen bananas and when defrosted measured, one cup of previously frozen bananas was more than one cup of room temperature bananas.  I also used one cup of walnuts per bread rather than the 1/2 cup which I liked too.  This is the link to my recipe --> Banana Bread.

No comments: