Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Our Winter Vacation - 1

I've been really bad about updating this blog lately so I'm going to try to at least see how far I get on this winter vacation we just embarked on today, Wednesday, February 17th.
Yesterday we had a winter storm with 18"-25" of snow.  Fortunately by morning all the roads had been plowed and there was only a light snow when we left at 9:00.

We drove down 390 and ran into a bit of a snow squall for a mile around Geneseo but the rest of the trip was great, especially once we got past the wet roads where road mess would get splattered all over our car when other cars would pass.  For a while I thought we would run out of windshield wiper fluid.  

I couldn't believe it when we made it all the way down to Fredericksburg with only 2 stops.  The first one was for the bathroom and then one for gas and the bathroom.  I could have used another one about 2 hours before we got here but we didn't pass any place and the feeling subsided.

We got to TownePlace Suites which was the place I booked but not the place I thought I booked.  I thought I booked the place across from Spotsylvania Towne Center where we've stayed a bunch of times before but then we drove right by it and wound up here.  After we were in the room I checked to see why I booked this place and what the other place was called.  I have to say right now that we were upgraded to a 2 bedroom suite with a separate living room, full kitchen (although they didn't have any wine glasses so we had our wine in coffee mugs) and 3 TVs.  Unfortunatley there's not much we watch on Wednesday so it wasn't that big of a deal.  And tomorrow when all my favorite shows are on - and they're not Larry's, we only have one TV.

Anyway, the hotel I thought I booked was the Residence Inn on Towne Center Rd.  When I went to the Marriott website to see if I could figure out why I booked this place it was totally obvious.  My criteria for booking is that they have to have a free breakfast and hardly cost any points and if it's some kind of suite so much the better.  Both places had the breakfast but TownPlace Suites was 10,000 points and the Residence Inn was 20,000.  Something must have changed since the last time we were here but we're very happy here and it's a good thing I wasn't planning on going shopping at the mall.

I brought a container of Black Bean Soup that we could warm up here as well as some bread and snacks.  We brought up a bottle of wine and finished the whole thing - Hey, it's day one of our vacation.

No comments: