Thursday, January 2, 2014

Oatmeal Christmas Tree Cookies

This is another of the recipes that Larry pointed out to me.  They turned out to be my favorite eating cookie.  I have yet to figure out the points value.  They remind me of scones because they are dry, but scones are also very fattening, at least the ones I love from Starbucks.
I made some as cutouts.  I don't know what happened to all the cookie cutters I used to have.  Probably got rid of them when I moved thinking I would never use them again so I bought a star and a snowman.

Made about 4 dozen of them and then I got lazy and just rolled out the rest of them and cut them into rectangles.  I also altered the recipe a bit by adding nuts and craisins to the rectangular ones.

I melted white chocolate and put them on the stars and snowmen for a little bit of sweetness.

Just calculated the PP value.  If I make 8 dozen then they're only 2 PP each for the basic recipe without frosting, nuts or craisins.
==========================
This recipe was in the D&C Dec. 14, 2013 and it refers to making Christmas trees out of cookies.  I don't think I'll be making the cookies into a tree, although they are cute, but also time consuming and I already spend too much time on "projects" that I create for myself.  However, I do want to try the cookies.

picture from D&C website

Oatmeal Christmas Tree Cookies

1 cup butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup milk
4 cups sifted flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups uncooked quick rolled oats
Frosting
Candy and sprinkles for decorating
Make a five-point star pattern out of cardboard. It should be about 8 inches across. Then make 7 ½ inch, 7 inch, 6 inch, 5 inch and 4 inch star patterns. You will also need a shot glass and thimble, to cut out the separator cookies and make a hole in the center of each cookie for the dowel rod to go through. Make a square or round 8 or 9 inch wooden base, drilling a hole in the center for the ¼ inch dowel that will hold the cookies.

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, cream well. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add some to creamed mixture, then some of the milk. Repeat until gone. Fold in rolled oats and chill dough.
Roll out on a lightly floured board to ¼ inch thickness. Cut out two cookies each from each of the 6 star patterns.
Cut out 11 separators from the dough using the 2-inch diameter shot glass. Cut holes in the center of each star and each separator using the thimble. Bake until firm (don’t let them get too brown or they will break easily), about 12 to 15 minutes.
After they cool, freeze until you are ready to assemble.
To assemble, cover the wooden base with foil and insert the dowel into the center hole of the base (you may need to cover the end with a piece of paper towel so it stands firm). Frost one of the largest star cookies, and add sprinkles if wanted, and place it on the base. Frost the edge of a separator, so it will come apart easier to eat, and place on the large star. Frost the other large star cookie and gently add. Alternate separator and star, continuing until the smallest star. We have used gumdrops on top, and the possibilities are endless for candy decorations.

Icing

1 ½ cups sugar
6 tablespoons water
6 large marshmallows
2 egg whites
¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
½ teaspoon vanilla
Boil sugar and water in a deep pot for 3 minutes. While heating, place unbeaten egg whites in a mixing bowl. Remove sugar and water mixture from heat and add 6 marshmallows. Stir. When the marshmallows are partially dissolved, pour into mixing bowl over unbeaten egg whites. Add cream of tartar and vanilla and beat with electric mixer for about 5 minutes. Frosting should hold a slight shape as you lift the beater. This makes the frosting drip slightly on the edge of the star cookies. If beaten too long, it will become too sugary.



No comments: