BLUEBERRY LEMON WALNUT BREAD
Yield: 12 servings
1 cup shelled walnuts, chopped
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons lemon zest
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
1 cup blueberries
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread a single layer of walnuts onto a baking sheet. Toast walnuts in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes (until light brown) then let cool.
- Using a whisk, mix all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Using a whisk, mix sugar, lemon zest, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, melted butter and oil in a medium bowl.
- Pour liquid ingrediens into a pit created in the center of the dry ingredients and lightly combine. Take care not to over mix. Introduce chopped walnuts and blueberries by folding into mixture.
- Flour and grease an 8 x 4 (I’d use a 9 x 5) loaf pan. Spread mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour (If using a tester, insert into center, baking complete when tester comes out clean). When finished baking, let cool for 20 minutes on rack, removing from pan and cool to room temperature.
- To create a glaze, add sugar and lemon juice to a small saucepan. Boil over high heat, then reduce. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Brush on glaze while bread is still warm.