Friday, December 6, 2013

Blueberry Bubble Bark

This recipe was No. 9 in the 12 days of Cookies in the D&C yesterday.  My comments are in red.
Blueberry Bubble Bark

Ingredients
6 ounces white chocolate  
3/4 cup puffed rice cereal
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut (I used sweetened, couldn't find unsweetened)
1/2 cup dried blueberries (substitute dried cranberries if you cannot find blueberries)
1/2 cup unsalted coarsely chopped pistachios

Instructions
Grease a 4-inch-by-8-inch loaf pan and line the base and two long sides with parchment paper so the paper extends a couple inches above the sides.  (Note:  If you're going to put parchment paper down, why grease??  I didn't)

Melt the chocolate: You can do this in a double boiler by bringing water to a simmer in the bottom of the double boiler and putting the white chocolate in the top of the double boiler and stirring until the chocolate melts. Conversely, you can melt the white chocolate in a microwave. Put the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Set the power on low and microwave for 1 minute intervals, stirring between intervals, until the white chocolate is melted.

Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and spoon mixture evenly into pan. Cover the top with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator until set. Remove the bark from the pan and cut into slices or break into chunks.

Makes enough for about 15 to 20 pieces.  (Note:  You can break it into way smaller pieces, don't need to eat such a big piece.  Very satisfying in small amounts.)

Note:
Since I had to buy all the ingredients I calculated the cost $7 for the batch and whether there are 15 or 20 pieces it is 3 PP per piece.

Note: (after making)
I didn't think there was enough white chocolate since it all crumbled apart, only some of it stuck together.  I melted more chocolate and added all the loose pieces to it.  After hardening I then had too much chocolate so I remelted all of it and added more coconut and nuts and it was much better.  I forgot the puffed rice which would have added more crunch to this batch.  Anyway, it is delicious.  I didn't think I would like it but I do and I'm going to make it again but this time I will start with more chocolate and just add the ingredients till I think I have the right consistency.

No comments: