Sunday, March 19, 2017

Blizzard

Saturday night, after we had our power back I was lying on the couch watching TV and for some reason I went to the Southwest app on my phone.  I noticed they were talking about an impending blizzard that was forecast and were offering people with flights on various days from various cities to change their flight at no extra charge.

Our flight was scheduled for Tuesday morning and they had Tuesday and Wednesday as the days that could be changed if you were scheduled to fly out of Rochester.  I changed our flight to Monday morning and almost instantly realized I had an important dental appointment Monday morning to take care of some things before we would be gone for 6 weeks.  I called southwest and was informed that there would be 76 minute hold time or I could have a call back.  I chose the callback and more than 90 minutes later, at 1:06 I got the call.  I was on hold for 10 minutes before a real person came on the phone and after another 45 minutes and some begging and pleading we got on the Monday night flight.

I booked us a room at the Fairfield Airport hotel and by then, since the clocks were also moved ahead an hour, it was too late to go to sleep since it was almost time to get up.  Who knows what else I was doing but I was probably pretty wired by then and too tired to be tired.  I made it through all of Sunday without a nap and finished packing and got ready for the trip.

Karen took us to the airport where we shared a Subway sandwich for dinner.


Our plane was about 1 1/2 hours late but we got on it with all the other people who had switched their flight and flew direct to Orlando in 2 1/2 hours.

During the day the flights for Tuesday were cancelled and between Tuesday and Wednesday there was a snowfall of 27 inches in Rochester.  We were so fortunate to get our power back when  we did and get our flight out when we did.


No comments: