Saturday, January 28, 2012

Spicy Mulligatawny Soup

When I was talking to Laura today about a recipe she was going to make for a guy, it reminded me of the first meal I made for Larry after we met.  It was our first date after our meeting and I actually invited him over after I got out of work to:
1) take a walk
2) have dinner
3) watch the presidential debate with me

It was 2004 but I don't remember who was debating  (just looked it up - Bush vs Kerry).  Originally I wasn't even going to see him that night because I had on my calendar to watch the debate.  I remember it was a Wednesday.  Monday I had a Women for Winesense meeting, Tuesday I had to clean and cook so Wednesday was our first "real date."

When we met for the first time on Sunday, at a coffee shop near his house, Larry invited me back to his house right from there.  It really impressed me that he could invite me on the spot.  I would have to spend hours straightening up first.  I did go, although I could hear Laura in the background telling me I shouldn't and if I did I should definitely be driving my own car, which I didn't.

Getting back to the basics, this is the recipe I made, with a salad which obviously won his heart.  I got the recipe from Patsy but it is originally Ann's mother's recipe.  I need to make it again sometime soon.


Spicy Mulligatawny Soup

1 tbsp oil
½ lb boneless chicken cut into bite size pieces
1 cup chopped peeled Gala or Braeburn apple
¾ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped carrot
½ cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped green bell pepper
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp crushed red pepper (I omitted this)
¼ tsp salt
2 (14 ½ oz) cans fat-free low sodium chicken broth
1/3 cup mango chutney
¼ cup tomato paste

Heat 1 tsp oil in a Dutch oven over med heat.  Add chicken and sauté 3 minutes.  Remove from pan and set aside.
Heat 2 tsp oil in pan.  Add apple and next 4 ingredients (apple through bell pepper), sauté 5 minutes stirring frequently.  Stir in flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt), cook 1 minute.  Stir in broth, chutney, and tomato paste, bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, simmer 8 minutes.  Return chicken to pan; cook 2 minutes or until mixture is thoroughly heated.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size = 1 ¼ cups)  Calories=236


If you decide to use the crushed red pepper, start with ¼ tsp or even just a dash. 
The first time I made it it was very spicy and you lost other flavors!

No comments: