Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Fresh Pumpkin

I had a fresh pumpkin and after making that delicious pumpkin pie at Greta's I thought that I should make one using the pumpkin I had before we left home.  This was a real easy way for me to cook the pumpkin.
First I cut some holes in the pumpkin, almost like eyes if I was carving a jack-o-lantern.


This is so the air can escape.  It is much too hard to cut the pumpkin without softening it first, especially with my bad shoulder.  I put it in the microwave on high for 5 minutes.

Then I cut the top off and cleaned out the insides.
I cut it in quarters to make cleaning easier.
Using a serated knife to scrape off any stringy residue worked real well.
Then I put it in a large bowl with a tablespoon or two of water, cutting the pieces to fit and microwaved on high for first 10 minutes and then another 10 until it was really soft.
After it came out of the microwave, let it cool so it can be handled.  The pumpkin should scrape off the shell real easily and then you can use a stick mixer to puree it and make your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.   I used the tried and true Libby's recipe because that's what I used at Greta's.  But I realized that I definitely need to refresh my spices because hers tasted so good with all the brand new spices.
 Libby's Pumpkin Pie Recipe

  • 3/4 Cups sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsps. ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 can (15 oz.) Libby’s Pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin
  • 1 cans (12 fl.oz.each) Carnation evaporated milk
  • 1 unbaked 9-inch (4 cup volume) deep dish pie shells
Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves in a small bowl. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Stir in pumpkin and sugar-spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk.
Pour into pie shells.
Bake in preheated 425 degree F. oven for 15 minutes.  Reduce temperature to 350 degrees F.;  bake for 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean.  Cool on wire rack for 2 hours.  Serve or refrigerate.

And while I was at it, I used a cup of the pumpkin to make my favorite recipe for Pumpkin Nut Bread.  The recipe must be at least 40 years old.  I posted it here last year --> Pumpkin Bread
but just below is the actual recipe that I saved all these years.  It came in our RG&E (Rochester Gas & Electric) bill eons ago.  I cut everything in half but used 2 eggs and added some craisins.  Next time I'm going to try using fresh cranberries since I still have a cup of pumpkin that I put in the freezer.



No comments: