Sunday, October 2, 2011

Blueberry Bread

Today I was going to make banana bread but I mistakenly whipped up 1 cup of butter, which is what I use for oatmeal cookies so I needed to think of something else to make to use the other 1/2 cup of butter and I decided to look for a blueberry bread recipe.  The first one I came across sounded good and it turned out to be just that.


BLUEBERRY BREAD

INGREDIENTS:
2 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

DIRECTIONS:
1.  Mix together beaten eggs with the sugar. Add milk and melted shortening or vegetable oil.
2.  Sift together flour, salt, and baking powder. Combine mixtures, stirring only until blended. Carefully fold in fresh or frozen blueberries and broken walnut pieces.
3.  Pour into greased 5 x 12 inch loaf pan. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 50-60 minutes. Cool in pan but try to turn it out of pan before it is totally cool. It will be easier to remove. Can also be made in a normal size loaf pan or can be made into 2 pans.

Printed from Allrecipes.com 10/2/2011
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-bread-i/

Note:  2/11/12 - After reading this recipe, I'm wondering how I used the 1/2 cup butter based on the recipe.  I'm going to make this again today but will use 3 Tblsp of butter and report back on the results.
Results:  Came out OK but definitely need to cook for 60 minutes.  I took it out after 50 and although the top looked done and the toothpick test was OK the bottom wasn't cooked.  I prefer butter to oil but need to do a comparison test after reading about the differences between the two and also of melting butter vs creaming it.

Note:  6/16/14 - After re-reading this today I saw that in the instructions it said melted shortening or vegetable oil.  I used oil and it seemed to rise a lot more but when looking up the difference it seems that oil or melted shortening doesn't make a difference when the recipe calls for oil, mainly in muffins and I would assume these breads fall into the same category since they are more forgiving and be used 1:1.  But for other recipes it could have an impact, especially replacing butter with oil when it calls for creaming.  Butter has water and oil does not which is what makes the difference.

No comments: