Sunday, July 12, 2020

Broccoli Soup




I got this recipe from Once Upon a Chef, click here to see the recipe.

However, this is how I made it so that it was very non fattening and still delicious.


Ingredients
1 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small yellow onions, roughly chopped (about 1-3/4 cups)
4 cloves garlic, smashed
2 carrots, roughly chopped
1 celery stalk, roughly chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1 pound broccoli, florets and stems, roughly chopped
4 cups (32 oz) low sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus more to taste


INSTRUCTIONS
Melt the butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, carrots and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
*I always have to do this much longer.
Add the white wine and cook until almost completely reduced, a few minutes.
*If I didn’t have an opened bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, which I don’t like, in the refrigerator I would have substituted more broth or water.
Add the broccoli, chicken broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes.
Cool the soup for a while and then use a hand held immersion blender to purée it until as smooth as you like.

Note:  While I was adding this soup to my Recipe Index I saw that I had another broccoli soup there.  I'm glad I found this one because even though the original of this is also a Broccoli-Cheese soup they are entirely different as far as the ingredients.  I'll have to try that one again but alter it to make it more calorie conscious.  It probably has more of a broccoli flavor.

No comments: